It is illegal for needles and other sharps to be placed in the trash or recycling containers since they could cause an injury. “Sharps” is a medical term for devices with sharp points or edges that can puncture or cut skin. Examples of sharps include needles, syringes, lancets, auto injectors (such as EpiPens), and infusions sets.
- Sharps can be dropped-off at any of the Alameda County Household Hazardous Waste facilities.
- Other drop-off options: many pharmacies, drugstores, and police stations offer drop-off kiosks, see below for a full list. Make sure sharps are placed in a proper disposal container no greater than one gallon in volume.
- Mail-back: Another option is to purchase a mail-back sharps container that comes with a prepaid box to mail the container back. Purchase a container online at SharpsDisposal.com, or Sharpsinc.com. These containers may also be available at your local pharmacy.
- CalRecycle has additional information about sharps disposal.
- Search Recycle Where? for other locations.
Locations that Accept Sharps Containers*
|CVS Pharmacy||Alameda||931 Marina Village Parkway|
|Berkeley Police Department||Berkeley||2100 Martin Luther King Jr. Way|
|CVS Pharmacy||Berkeley||2655 Telegraph Ave.|
|CVS Pharmacy||Castro Valley||3667 Castro Valley Blvd.|
|CVS Pharmacy||Dublin||7201 Regional St.|
|Capsule Pharmacy||Fremont||2557 Mowry Ave., #11|
|CVS Pharmacy||Fremont||2000 Driscoll Rd.|
|CVS Pharmacy||Fremont||4020 Fremont Blvd.|
|Haller's Pharmacy and Medical Supply||Fremont||37323 Fremont Blvd.|
|CVS Pharmacy||Hayward||22501 Foothill Blvd.|
|CVS Pharmacy||Hayward||26059 Mission Blvd.|
|CVS Pharmacy||Hayward||243 West Jackson St.|
|Mission Pharmacy||Hayward||22138 Mission Blvd.|
|Ted's Drugs||Hayward||27453 Hesperian Blvd.|
|Tennyson Pharmacy||Hayward||589 W. Tennyson|
|CVS Pharmacy||Livermore||1500 1st St.|
|CVS Pharmacy||Livermore||4405 1st St.|
|Kaiser Permanente Pharmacy #241||Livermore||3000 Las Positas Rd.|
|CVS Pharmacy||Newark||35080 Newark Blvd.|
|CVS Pharmacy||Oakland||7200 Bancroft Ave.|
|CVS Pharmacy||Oakland||4100 Redwood Rd.|
|CVS Pharmacy||Oakland||344 Thomas L. Berkeley Way|
|New Oakland Pharmacy #1||Oakland||333 9th St.|
|New Oakland Pharmacy #2||Oakland||388 9th St. #108|
|New Oakland Pharmacy Lake Merritt||Oakland||250 East 18th St.|
|Wellspring Pharmacy||Oakland||4184 C Piedmont Ave.|
|Piedmont Police Department||Piedmont||403 Highland Ave.|
|CVS Pharmacy||Pleasanton||3010 Bernal Ave.|
|CVS Pharmacy||Pleasanton||6750 Bernal Ave.|
|Kaiser Health Plan South 1 PHY 471||Pleasanton||7601 Stoneridge Drive|
|CVS Pharmacy||San Leandro||1550 East 14th St.|
|CVS Pharmacy||San Leandro||14869 East 14th St.|
|CVS Pharmacy||San Leandro||699 Lewelling Blvd.|
*Make sure sharps are placed in a proper disposal container no greater than one gallon in volume.
Sharps must be placed in a sharps disposal container immediately after they have been used. Sharps disposal containers are available at most chain pharmacies and drugstores. Check with your health provider for information about disposal containers at the time your prescription is written. If you have difficulty finding a container call Household Hazardous waste at 800-606-6606.