Food Scrap Composting Tips
Keep compost clean
- Remove stickers, twist ties, and rubber bands from produce.
- Plastic, glass and metal should never go in the green cart.
Collect your food scraps
- Keep a small bowl handy for food prep trimmings and for scraping your plate.
- Use a paper bag, newspaper liner, BPI-certified compostable-plastic bag, or kitchen pail to collect food scraps.
Store your food scraps in a convenient place
- On the counter
- Under the sink
- In the fridge or freezer – especially for meat and fish or during hot weather.
Put your food scraps in the green cart for weekly pick-up
- Toss your compostable or paper bag of food scraps in the green cart.
- Empty food scraps from your collection pail or bowl into the green cart.
- Line the bottom of green cart with newspaper or leaves to keep it clean.
Be a helpful host
- You can remind guests and family to be a good sort. Create visual aids with our Sign Maker tool.