C&D Hazardous Waste and Materials
You may encounter hazardous waste and materials at construction sites on a regular basis. The materials listed below CANNOT be recycled using curbside recycling or placed in the trash, rather they must be recycled by a specialty recycler.
For a listing of recycling facilities in the Bay Area that properly handle hazardous waste materials, click on the links below:
- Aerosol Cans (non empty) Note: Empty aerosol cans can go in the recycling bin.
- Batteries (All types) Note: Please select type from list in link.
- Contaminated Soils
- Fluorescent Lighting Tubes and Ballasts Note: Recommendations for when a CFL or other mercury-containing bulb breaks
- Herbicides and Pesticides
- Mercury Thermostats
- Architectural Paint Cans (New/Unopen)
- Architectural Paint Cans (Non-empty) Note: Empty cans from paints, stains and varnishes can go in the recycling bin.
- Solvents, Thinners & Cleaning Products
- Treated Wood, Painted Wood, Railroad Ties
- Fuels such as Gasoline and Kerosene
- Propane Tanks/Gas Cylinders – refillable
- Propane Tanks/Gas Cylinders – single use