WELO Tool Kit & Resources
The Water Efficient Landscape Ordinance is a statewide water conservation law for new and renovated landscapes that meet a certain size threshold.
StopWaste has developed a WELO Tool Kit to help its member agencies implement the ordinance. The Tool Kit consists of a water budget/water use calculator, model checklists, and a permit counter brochure.
Public agencies can use these materials as is or modify them to meet local requirements.
WELO Tool Kit Elements
- WELO Requirements Brochure
- Water Budget/Water Use Calculator
- Landscape Documentation Package Review
- Certificate of Completion Checklist
- Irrigation Audit Checklist (for use by Irrigation Auditor)
- Landscape Inspection Checklist (for use by agency staff)
- Prescriptive Path (Appendix D) Checklist (for landscapes under 2,500 sf if your agency offers this option)
- Lawn to Garden Marketplace is an online directory of compost and mulch suppliers in the San Francisco Bay Area
- WUCOLS plants database provides plant water use information
- This plant legend template and example of a filled-out template can facilitate WELO compliance
- California Invasive Plant Council’s “Don’t Plant a Pest” website lists invasive plants to avoid in the Bay Area
- Sample WELO Landscape Plan cover sheet is a template that landscape architects may find useful
- EBMUD's Sample Residential Landscape Plans provides examples of planting, hydrozone and irrigation plans, legends and details and a sample water budget calculation
- EBMUD's new customers must comply with WELO and other water efficiency measures described here
- Irrigation Association lists qualified Irrigation Auditors
- ReScape California runs the ReScape (formerly Bay-Friendly) Rated Landscape program and has a directory of ReScape Raters and Rescape/Bay-Friendly Qualified Professionals
- StopWaste has sustainable landscape resources for Alameda County