Green Multifamily Residential Buildings
Green multifamily buildings can provide a wide range of benefits for residents and owners, including:
- Energy savings
- Water savings
- Higher quality of life
- Healthier indoor air quality
- Improved comfort
- Lower utility and maintenance costs
- Increased revenue and sales
- More desirable neighborhoods
New multifamily buildings can be designed to be green from the ground up, while existing properties can be upgraded to achieve many of these benefits. Here are some key resources for multifamily property owners:
Green Building Codes (CALGreen) and Local Ordinances
California was the first state in the country to enact mandatory green building code requirements, which are known as CALGreen. This statewide regulation establishes basic requirements for green construction. Local jurisdictions may have additional green building requirements that exceed CALGreen provisions. Find out more about CALGreen.
Energy Upgrade California Multifamily
The statewide Energy Upgrade California Multifamily Program provides resources to help owners of existing multifamily properties save money on operating costs, reduce energy use, and improve the quality of their properties. The program offers technical assistance for making smart energy-efficient improvements—and information about rebates, incentives and financing to help pay for them.
Green Building Rating Systems
The LEED and GreenPoint Rated green building rating systems establish voluntary standards of excellence for green building design and construction that go beyond CALGreen's basic requirements.
- GreenPoint Rated is a program of Build It Green, a California nonprofit organization. The GreenPoint Rated label provides third-party verification that the property was built to meet trusted environmental standards and evaluated by a certified GreenPoint Rater.
- LEED for Homes is available for building design and construction projects for single family homes and multifamily projects up to eight stories. LEED homes are built to be healthy, providing clean indoor air and incorporating safe building materials to ensure a comfortable home.