What You Can & Can't Drop-off
The household drop-off program is for hazardous wastes generated in the course of living in and maintaining your place of residence. Common household hazardous wastes are listed below. Wastes generated in the course of operating a business at a residence do not qualify.
Questions? Call 800-606-6606.
What's OK to bring:
|Paint||Stain, Shellac, Solvents, Thinners, Additives, Oil Paint, Latex Paint|
|Auto||Fuel, Waxes, Batteries, Additives, Motor Oil, Oil Filters, Antifreeze|
|Garden||Sprays, Fertilizers, Ant Traps, Pesticides, Herbicides, Rat Poison, Gopher Bait|
|Adhesives||Putty, Caulk, Epoxy, Mortar, Stucco, Uncured Cement Powder, Wood Glue|
|Electronics||Televisions, Computers, Telephones, Stereo Equipment, Microwaves, Thermostats, Ballasts for Fluorescent Lamps, Digital Clocks & MP3 Players, Digital Cameras, Cathode Ray Tubes|
|Miscellaneous||Fluorescent Bulbs, Household Batteries, Needles & Other Sharps, Most Prescription Medicine & Drugs, Acids & Caustics, Bleach & Cleaners, Photo Chemicals, Pool Chemicals, Propane|
Items that require special packaging:
- Needles & Other Sharps - must be packaged in FDA-approved sharps disposal containers that are made with puncture and leak-resistant plastic.
- Medicine & Drugs - old, expired or unneeded prescription and non prescription drugs (Due to legal restrictions WE CANNOT ACCEPT CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES). Pills should be poured out into Ziploc bags (it protects your privacy and lowers our cost ). It's ok to mix all your pills in one bag. Liquids and creams: leave in their original container and secure caps/lids, black out any personally identifying information.
What's NOT OK to bring:
- Explosives, radioactives, most compressed gases.
- Asbestos, railroad ties or treated wood. For disposal options search Recycle Where? or call Altamont Landfill (925) 449-6349.
- Due to legal restrictions WE CANNOT ACCEPT CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES. These can be taken to the Alameda County Sheriff's Eden Township Substation at 15001 Foothill Blvd, San Leandro (self-service drop box in lobby) MAP.