Medicine and Prescription Drugs
- Old medicine can be recycled at all Alameda County Hazardous Waste facilities. The facilities CANNOT ACCEPT CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES.
- Search Recycle Where? for other locations.
- Needles and other sharps – must be packaged in approved sharps containers made with puncture and leak-resistant plastic. Find out more.
- Pills should be poured out into Ziploc bags (it protects your privacy and lowers disposal costs). It's ok to mix all your pills in one bag.
- Liquids and creams: leave in their original container and secure caps/lids, black out any personally identifying information and place in a Ziploc bag.
- Keep medicine in the passenger compartment separate from other waste ready to hand out the window at the HHW facility.
Prescription controlled substances are drugs that have a high potential for abuse and may lead to physical or psychological dependence. Due to legal restrictions the HHW facilities and many other drop off locations CANNOT ACCEPT CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES. Check the table below for locations that accept controlled substances.
Controlled Substances Include:
- Narcotic pain medications such as Vicodin, Oxycontin, and Codeine.
- Sleeping pills such as Valium, Lunesta, and Ambien.
- ADD/ADHS drugs such as Concerta, and Adderall.
- Antidepressants such as Zoloft.
- Cough syrups with Codeine.
For a complete listing of controlled substances:
Locations that Accept Controlled and Non-Controlled Medicine
|Haller's Pharmacy||Newark||6170 Thornton Blvd.|
|Newark Police Department||Newark||37101 Newark Blvd.|
|Haller's Pharmacy and Medical Supply||Fremont||37323 Fremont Blvd.|
|Mowry Medical Pharmacy||Fremont||1999 Mowry Ave. Suite 2A|
|Teds Drugs||Hayward||27453 Hesperian Blvd.|
|Tennyson Pharmacy||Hayward||589 W Tennyson Rd.|
|Mission Pharmacy||Hayward||22138 Mission Blvd.|
|Pleasanton Police Department||Pleasanton||4833 Bernal Ave.|
|Clayworth Pharmacy||Castro Valley||20353 Lake Chabot Rd. Ste.101|
|Walgreens||San Leandro||15500 Washington Ave.|
|Alameda County Sheriff's Eden Substation||San Leandro||15000 Foothill Blvd.|
|New Oakland Pharmacy #1||Oakland||333 9th St.|
|New Oakland Pharmacy Lake Merritt||Oakland||250 E 18th St. 3rd floor|
|Wellspring Pharmacy||Oakland||4184C Piedmont Ave.|
|Piedmont Police Department||Piedmont||403 Highland Ave.|
|Alameda Police Department||Alameda||2263 Santa Clara Ave.|
|Walgreens||Alameda||2300 Otis Dr.|
|Stanford Health Care||Emeryville||5800 Hollis Ave.|