StopWaste Celebrates 2017 Business Efficiency Award Winners
Five Alameda County Companies Recognized for Waste Reduction Excellence
Oakland, CA—At a recognition event on March 22, StopWaste acknowledged the recipients of the 2017 StopWaste Business Efficiency Awards, given for outstanding achievements in waste reduction. The winners—five companies from around Alameda County—represent a wide range of industries and were selected for their leadership in waste prevention, recycling, and composting.
StopWaste Executive Director Wendy Sommer praised the award winners for their achievements. “I am truly excited to share the success stories of the 2017 awardees, because they model some of the guiding principles our Board recently established,” Sommer said.
Although recycling has been mandatory for many businesses and institutions in Alameda County since 2012, proactive and innovative efficiency measures are important. “Laws only get you so far. It is businesses like the ones we are celebrating today that give us an edge by going beyond requirements in their daily operations,” Sommer stated.
The award categories and winners are:
- Excellence in Recycling & Composting- Rahma Mediterranean Market (Dublin)
- Excellence in Recycling & Composting - Beneficial State Bank (Oakland)
- Excellence in Waste Prevention & Closing the Loop - Evergreen Nursery, Inc. (San Leandro)
- Excellence in Waste Prevention & Reuse - Niles Pie Company (Union City)
- Excellence in Reducing Wasted Food in Alameda County - Guckenheimer (all sites in Alameda County)