Residential Landlord Service
Residential landlords can use this free service to dispose of their tenant's household hazardous waste. In order to participate, residential property owners must:
- Call the California Environmental Protection Agency (CalEPA) at 800-618-6942 to apply for an EPA ID. In many cases, EPA ID numbers can be assigned over the phone.
- Qualify as a very small quantity generator by filling out and returning a self certification form. The Alameda County Household Hazardous Waste program will review your form and send you a confirmation letter.
- Once you receive a confirmation letter you can call 510-670-6460 to schedule an appointment.
- Property owners are limited to 220 pounds of waste a month. No individual container/item can be over 5 gallons or 50 pounds.
What we accept
We accept most common consumer building maintenance products: adhesives, painting, cleaning, auto, garden, propane, batteries, and fluorescent bulbs. Other more industrial products may be accepted after a consultation.
What we don’t accept
- Treated wood waste including railroad ties, click for more information.
- Large appliances (A/C, refrigerators, stoves, washers, etc.).
- Construction and demolition waste.
- Compressed gasses (5 gallon propane tanks and smaller are OK).
- Explosives, radioactive material.
- Unknown industrial chemicals.
- Contaminated soil debris, plastic sheeting or other waste from site cleanups or lead paint removal activities.
- We will not accept unknowns, such as unlabeled chemicals.