Reusable Shopping Bags
Visit www.ReusableBagsAC.org for more information on the Reusable Bag Ordinance in Alameda County.
COVID-19 Advisory: We understand that during this time people are focused on their health and well-being, and we believe that the use of reusable bags are compatible with those concerns. Click here for our guidance on using reusable bags and external resources.
Reusable bags help reduce litter and waste, protect creeks and the Bay, and save money for cities by minimizing litter clean-up costs.
- Affected stores must charge a minimum of $0.10 per bag for each paper bags or reusable bags.
- Consumers may bring any type of bag to a store for their purchases, and are encouraged to do so.
- The ordinance does not regulate use of single-use bags used to protect and transport produce, bulk food or meat from within a store to the checkout or cash register.
Tips to Remember Your Reusable Bag
- Put coupons in your bag and keep it by the door.
- Hang a few reusable bags on the coat rack or door knob.
- Keep reusable bags in the back seat of your car.
- Keep compact reusable bags in a purse, pocket or backpack.
Cleaning reusable bags
- Regularly clean your bags. Most fabric bags can be washed in the washing machine. For bags made from plastic material, soak in a basin filled with soapy water and either the juice of half a lemon or about a quarter cup of vinegar.
- Air out bags air so moisture evaporates.
- Designate specific bags for meats and fish.