Construction & Demolition Debris
C&D Debris Tracking Tools
StopWaste worked with Waste Tracking (formerly Green Halo Systems) to develop an electronic waste management tracking tool.
Waste Tracking and similar online platforms can save contractors time and money. They can be used to identify recyclable materials, locate recycling facilities, track recycling progress, and generate reports for clients, government and green building rating systems.
Construction and demolition (C&D) debris includes materials such as wood, drywall, metal, concrete, glass, insulation, soil and cardboard. C&D materials account for between 21.7 to 25.5% of the disposed waste stream in California (source: CalRecycle). With good planning, much of this material can be reduced, reused or recycled. Learn more:
Benefits of C&D debris reuse & recycling
- Saves money - lower disposal fees, less need to purchase new materials
- Conserves natural resources
- Slows the rate at which landfills reach capacity
- Reduces methane emissions created when landfilled materials break down
Benefits of Deconstruction
Deconstructing instead of demolishing a 2,000 sq. ft. house:
- Saves 2,400 gallons of water
- Prevents 33 mature trees from being cut down
- Reduces greenhouse gas emissions equivalent to taking three cars off the road for a year
Source: ReBuilding Center
This article from C&D World magazine highlights use of the GreenPoint Rated Climate Calculator to account for recycling's role in cutting greenhouse gas emissions.