Transfer Station Field Trips
Field trips to the award-winning irecycle @ school Education Center offer students an opportunity to learn first-hand what happens to their recyclables, garbage and compostables at a working material recovery facility and transfer station. This field trip provides real-life application of concepts taught in the classroom in the areas of physical science, life science and investigation/experimentation. Trips (valued at $1,200) are free for schools, and available to Alameda County public school 4th grade classes.
Field Trip Registration for the Davis Street Transfer Station for Fall 2017 is now open. Registration for Spring tour dates and for the Fremont Transfer Station will open later in the year.
- Davis Street Recycling & Transfer Station in San Leandro (Waste Management, Inc.) Serving Alameda, Albany, Berkeley, Castro Valley, Dublin, Emery, Piedmont, Pleasanton, San Leandro, and San Lorenzo School Districts.
- Fremont Recycling & Transfer Station in Fremont (BLT, Enterprises) Serving Fremont, Newark and New Haven (Union City) School Districts.
Field trips include:
- A two-hour program including a visit to the Education Center, Garbage Pit and Material Recovery Facility.
- An opportunity to trace the path of compostables, recyclables and garbage from curbside to remanufacture or disposal.
- Learning about the 4Rs (Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Rot) and exploring how student’s individual actions can help reduce waste.
- A hands-on activity in the Education Center aligned to the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) and Common Core Standards. 4th graders also simulate the life-cycle of an aluminum can using puzzles and role play.
- Pre and post-field trip lessons aligned to NGSS and Common Core Standards.
- Free bus pick up and drop off at school.
Registration and Program Availability
Field trips are available to 4th grade Alameda County public school groups during the school year.
Davis Street Recycling & Transfer Station
Starting October 3rd, 2017 through May 2, 2018, field trips are generally offered:
- Monday-Wednesday from 9:00 am - 11:00 am
- Monday-Wednesday from 12:30 pm - 2:30 pm.
Fremont Education Center
Tours are offered at the Fremont Education Center starting January 22nd, 2017 through April 10th, 2018. Registration will open for the Fremont Education Center later this year.
- Tuesday-Wednesday from 9:00 am - 11:00 am.
- Tuesday-Wednesday from 12:30 pm - 2:30 pm.
School Field Trip Schedule Starting October 3, 2017
|Morning||9:00 - 11:00||9:00 - 11:00||9:00 - 11:00||Limited Tours Available||No Tours Available|
|Afternoon||12:30 - 2:30||12:30 - 2:30||12:30 - 2:30||Limited Tours Available||No Tours Available|
All field trips are available on a first-come-first-serve basis. A staff member will email to confirm the date and time of your field trip. To ensure the safety and comfort of all visitors, a maximum of 36 students can be accommodated per field trip, with one class allowed per time slot.
Versalar is our transportation provider and a bus is provided at no cost for this field trip. No transportation is provided for field trips other than Alameda County Public School 4th grades.
There is no charge for field trips to the irecycle@school Education Center. (The value of this service is $1,200.) StopWaste provides this service to schools to support our county-wide goal to reduce the amount of compostables and recyclables entering our landfills to less than 10% by the year 2020. In exchange for this service teachers must commit to the following:
Before your field trip
All teachers will receive a pre-packet in the mail sent to the school address provided during online field trip registration. This packet will include:
- Student Pre-Surveys
- Parent Pre-Surveys & Permission Slips
- 4Rs Activities.
Please make sure to bring Student Pre-Surveys and Parent Pre-Surveys and Permission slips with you on the day of the field trip.
- Prepare students for their field trip with the Pre-Trip Activities enclosed in the confirmation packet prior to your field trip
- Ensure that students dress appropriately for the weather and wear sturdy, closed-toe shoes.
After your field trip
- Complete the online Teacher Evaluation, which will be linked here.
- Conduct the Student Reflection with your class or mail the class set to the Education Center.
- Conduct the activities handed to you in your Teacher Post-Field Trip Packet.
For additional information call (510) 563-4282 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that you will be required to create a new login account even if you’ve attended the field trip in the past.
2615 Davis Street, San Leandro 94577
Phone 510 563-4282 Fax 510 563-4205