Paints and paint-related products contain hazardous chemicals and should never be poured down the drain or thrown in the garbage.
- Paint and paint-related products can be disposed of at all Alameda County Household Hazardous Waste Facilities and One-Day Events.
- Visit PaintCare Inc. for a list of disposal locations for house paint, primers, stains, sealers, and clear coatings (shellac & varnish). See accepted product list.
- Search our Re:Source Guide for other locations.
- The Alameda County Household Hazardous Waste Facilities accept: oil-based paints, water-based paints, latex paint, spray/aerosol paints, stains, varnish, thinners, removers, and adhesives.
- Dispose of dry and empty paint cans with the lids off in a recycling bin.
- Used brushes, roller heads, and rags that are soaked with paint or chemicals belong in the trash when they can no longer be of use.