Energy Efficient Homes
If you are looking to make your home healthier, more efficient, while saving money, addressing energy inefficiencies that exist in your home is the best place to start. On this page, you'll find how your home can benefit from energy upgrades, and links to programs we run to help residents save energy.
- Healthier. According to the EPA, indoor air quality is 2-5 times worse than outdoor air quality, primarily due to leaks in the ducts and the building envelope (walls, floors, and ceiling). Addressing these leaks can reduce allergens and asthmagens.
- More comfortable. Without proper insulation, our homes have difficulty retaining heat in the summer and keeping heat out in the summer.
- More economical. Addressing energy waste in our homes reduces energy costs due to rising heating and cooling loads.
As part of the Bay Area Regional Energy Network (BayREN), StopWaste participates in a number of programs to help residents improve the performance of their homes.
- Home Energy Score – Local energy assessors provide a 1-10 score as well as home facts and recommendations for improving the home’s performance. BayREN currently offers a $200 assessment rebate for those who qualify.
- Home+ - Receive up to $5,000 in rebates when using participating contractors to improve heating, air conditioning, insulation, water heating, and other systems in the home. The Home+ program also offers free consultations with an impartial energy expert through the Home Upgrade Advisor service.
- Bay Area Multifamily Building Enhancements Program – Owners of multiple unit properties can receive no-cost technical assistance and $750/unit to make energy improvements on their property.