Skip to main content

Small Business Hazardous Waste Service

Drop-in Service for Business
There is a drop-in service that makes it easy for businesses to drop-off latex paint, fluorescent lamps, batteries, and aerosol cans. Find out more.

COVID-19 Rules for Small Business Hazardous Waste Drop-off

For your safety and the safety of our staff, eligible businesses should observe the following rules while dropping off hazardous waste.

  • Stay in your vehicle. It is state law and part of our COVID-19 protection plan. Items must be in an unlocked trunk or back cargo space. Staff will not open passenger doors or enter vehicle cabin.
  • Face masks are mandatory. The driver and all passengers must wear a mask during HHW drop-off.

If your business has leftover hazardous materials, you may be eligible for a service to safely dispose of these items at reasonable, affordable rates. Businesses that qualify as “Very Small Quantity Generators” (VSQG) can dispose of hazardous materials safely, conveniently and in ways that protect our environment. 

This service accepts the following materials:
  • Solvents, flammable solids and liquids, and detergents.
  • Propane tanks and aerosol cans.
  • Car and truck products, such as motor oil, lubricants, oil filters and antifreeze.
  • Lawn care products, such as pesticides, herbicides, fungicides and fertilizers.
  • Paint and paint-related materials, such as stains, varnishes, roofing tar, adhesives, joint compounds and other petroleum-based products.
  • Photochemical liquids, acids, bases, neutral oxidizers and swimming-pool chemicals.

Step 1: Do I Qualify? 

Nonprofit groups, landlords, condo operators, contractors, small businesses or any other organization or commercial entity that meets the following criteria:
  • Be located and generate the waste in Alameda County.
  • Qualify as a Very Small Quantity Generator (VSQG) as defined in the California Health and Safety Code, section 25218.1, and the Code of Federal Regulations 40, Section 261.13 & 261.14.
  • You must produce less than 220 lbs, or about 27 gallons of all kinds of hazardous waste per month, and less than 2.2 lbs of Acutely Hazardous Waste per month.
  • You must have less than 2,200 lbs (about 220 full one-gallon paint cans, or 45 full five-gallon buckets of paint) of all kinds of hazardous waste in storage at any time.
  • What’s NOT counted toward the VSQG limits: latex paint and universal wastes: aerosol cans, household type batteries and fluorescent lamps - these are not subject to the monthly 220 lb. delivery and 2200 lb. in-storage limits

Step 2: Get an EPA ID Number

All participants in the VSQG service MUST HAVE an EPA Identification number.

Step 3: Complete the Forms

Complete the Certification Form, Information Form, and Inventory Form. The VSQG self-certification form is a legal document attesting to the fact that your firm meets the criteria of a Very Small Quantity Generator.
  • Download the forms.
  • Fill out and return the completed certification and information forms, and we will open an account for you. Return the completed forms by email:, fax: 510-293-9374, or mail: Alameda County HHW VSQG, 1131 Harbor Bay Parkway, M/S 51701, Alameda, CA 94502-6540. 
  • The HHW program will review your completed forms, determine eligibility and mail you a confirmation with an account number, or inform you if you are not eligible.
  • To learn more about getting your business certified for the service call the Alameda County Environmental Health Department at 800-606-6606.

Step 4: Get your Waste Approved for Drop-off

Complete the Inventory Form.  The Fee Schedule lists typical wastes the HHW program accepts. E-mail: or call 800-606-6606 if you have questions. The HHW program may not be able to accept some types of chemicals or waste. The HHW program may contact you with questions.