Skip to main content

Other Letters

StopWaste partners with the cities of Alameda County, their solid waste service providers, and environmental health departments to help sites comply and enforce the law when needed. You may receive letters or notifications from any of these partners to notify you of the rules or warn you of a potential fine. Please follow the instructions provided on your letter to avoid a future Citation and fine.

An overview of the rules is provided below. For additional information about the law, click here


Under the law, businesses, nonprofits, institutions, schools*, and multi-family properties must:

1.  Get Service

Sign up for compost (organics) and recycling collection service (or have an approved waiver on file).

Learn More

2.  Set Up Indoor Bins

Place color-coded and labeled recycling and compost bins next to all garbage bins (not required in restrooms).

Learn More

3.  Sort Correctly

Sort materials into the proper bins – compost, recycling, and landfill – and inform employees, tenants, and contractors of the rules (at least annually and during move in and move out).

Learn More

4.  Donate Surplus Food (if applicable)

In addition to the rules above, some business that generate surplus edible food – such as grocery stores, food distributors, and large restaurants – must recover and donate their surplus edible food to feed people.

Learn More


* Notes about public and private schools:

  • The rules: The same rules above apply to both public and private schools.
  • Free resources: There are some differences between resources for public schools and resources for private schools.
  • Enforcement: State agency CalRecycle is responsible for enforcing the law at public schools, while StopWaste is the primary enforcement agency for private schools.