Reusable Shopping Bags
Visit www.ReusableBagsAC.org for more information on the Reusable Bag Ordinance in Alameda County.
COVID-19 Advisory: We understand that during this time people are focused on their health and well-being, and we believe that the use of reusable bags are compatible with those concerns. Click here for an FAQ on reusable bags during COVID-19.
Reusable bags help reduce litter and waste, protect creeks and the Bay, and save money for cities by minimizing litter clean-up costs.
- Affected stores must charge a minimum of $0.10 per bag for each paper bags or reusable bags.
- Consumers may bring any type of bag to a store for their purchases, and are encouraged to do so.
- The ordinance does not regulate use of single-use bags used to protect and transport produce, bulk food or meat from within a store to the checkout or cash register.
Tips to Remember Your Reusable Bag
- Put coupons in your bag and keep it by the door.
- Hang a few reusable bags on the coat rack or door knob.
- Keep reusable bags in the back seat of your car.
- Keep compact reusable bags in a purse, pocket or backpack.
Cleaning reusable bags
- Regularly clean your bags. Most fabric bags can be washed in the washing machine. For bags made from plastic material, soak in a basin filled with soapy water and either the juice of half a lemon or about a quarter cup of vinegar.
- Air out bags air so moisture evaporates.
- Designate specific bags for meats and fish.