All About Compost
The compost cycle shown below closes the loop on organic waste by turning items like yard trimmings and food scraps into compost, a rich soil amendment. Compost helps grow healthy landscapes and edible crops, and when the waste from these activities is composted, the cycle begins again!
1. Sort and Collect Organics
- Stop Food Waste First: edible food is too essential to waste! Find tips that will help you prevent food waste and save money.
- Backyard Bin Sorting: learn what to put in your backyard bin.
- Worm Composting Sorting: learn what to put in your worm bin.
- Green Bin Sorting: learn what can go in your green bin
2. Make Compost
- Backyard Composting: learn how to make compost in a backyard bin.
- Composting with Worms: find all the information you need to set up a worm compost bin.
- Build or Buy a Compost Bin: explore different types of compost bins and find one that works for you.
- Composting on Urban Farms: download an in-depth guide for support in becoming an expert composter.
- Using your Green Bin: get more information about your city's curbside composting program.
3. Get Compost
- Compost Hubs and Donations: find locations that offer free compost and request a compost donation for your community organization growing food.
- Compost Vendors: find vendors who sell compost.
- Go from Lawn to Garden: our Lawn to Garden website has resources that will make your lawn conversion projects easier, including a directory of vendors who provide bulk compost, mulch and other sheet mulch materials.
4. Use Compost
- Home Gardeners: find how-to tips for using compost in the garden.
- Landscape Professionals: contains best practices, tips for identifying quality compost, and resources geared towards landscape professionals.
- Carbon Farming: Learn how compost and other gardening practices reduce climate change.
5. Plant and Grow
- Year-Round Local Gardening Resources: find gardening resources and supplies, and learn how to meet other East Bay gardeners.
- Gardening Events Calendar: check out our listing of local gardening events.
- Gardening Tips: visit our Lawn to Garden website for tips on growing an edible landscape.
Compost Pile Time-Lapse
Watch this time-lapse footage of a compost pile breaking down over four months.
Learn more about building healthy soil with this guide that provides tips to help you get started in your garden. It covers soil building strategies including composting, sheet mulching and cover cropping.