Small Business Hazardous Waste Disposal Services
NEW: Drop-in program for businesses with latex paint, fluorescent lamps, batteries, and aerosol cans. Find out more.
COVID-19 Rules for Small Business Hazardous Waste Drop-off
For your safety and the safety of our staff, eligible businesses should observe the following rules while dropping off hazardous waste.
- Stay in your vehicle. It is state law and part of our COVID-19 protection plan. Items must be in an unlocked trunk or back cargo space. Staff will not open passenger doors or enter vehicle cabin.
- Face masks are mandatory. The driver and all passengers must wear a mask during HHW drop-off.
- Solvents, flammable solids and liquids, and detergents.
- Propane tanks and aerosol cans.
- Car and truck products, such as motor oil, lubricants, oil filters and antifreeze.
- Lawn care products, such as pesticides, herbicides, fungicides and fertilizers.
- Paint and paint-related materials, such as stains, varnishes, roofing tar, adhesives, joint compounds and other petroleum-based products.
- Photochemical liquids, acids, bases, neutral oxidizers and swimming-pool chemicals.
Step 1: Do I Qualify?
- Be located and generate the waste in Alameda County.
- Qualify as a Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator (CESQG) as defined in the California Health and Safety Code, section 25218.1, and the Code of Federal Regulations 40, Section 261.5.
- You must produce less than 220 lbs, or 27 gallons of all kinds of hazardous waste per month, and less than 2.2 lbs of Extremely Hazardous Waste per month.
- You must have less than 2,200 lbs (about 220 full one-gallon paint cans, or 45 full five-gallon buckets of paint) of all kinds of hazardous waste in storage at any time.
Step 2: Get an EPA ID Number
- Call the California Environmental Protection Agency (CalEPA) at 800-618-6942 to apply for an EPA ID. In many cases, EPA ID numbers can be assigned over the phone.
Step 3: Complete the Forms
- Download the form.
- Fill out and return the completed certification and information forms, and we will open an account for you. Return the completed forms by email, fax or mail: