All About Compost
Every city in Alameda County offers curbside pickup of food scraps and yard trimmings, which is then turned into compost at industrial facilities.
- Put food scraps, food-soiled paper, and plant trimmings in the green bin. Plastic, glass, and metal should never go in the green bin.
- Find out more about what can be composted in the green bin.
Whether you make your own compost or buy it at the store, adding compost is a great way to create healthy soil.
- Get tips on how compost can be added on top of garden beds, blended into potting mixes, and used as a liquid fertilizer.
- Using compost improves soil quality, conserves water, and helps fight climate change.
- Are you looking to buy compost? Find vendors who provide bulk compost on our Lawn to Garden website.
Compost Pile Time-Lapse
Watch this time-lapse footage of a compost pile breaking down over four months.