Two-Person Wooden Worm Bin
- For fruit & vegetable trimmings
- Basic carpentry skills needed for construction
- Doubles as a seat!
- Breathes well - will need occasional watering
- $20 - $30 for materials new
- (1 ) 4'x4' piece 1/2' exterior grade plywood
- (3) 6' pieces 2x2" wood
- (1) 4' piece 2x4" wood
- 1 pound 4 penny galvanized nails
- 16" light chain with (2) 1/2" wood screws
- (2) 2" hinges, with 3/4" wood screws
- Waterproof wood glue
- Power saw (use eye protection) or hand saw
- Measuring tape
- Drill with 1/4" and 3/32" bits
Assembly (glue all wood pieces before nailing)
Nail the two 23" 2x4s and two 19 7/8" 2x2s to bottom of 23x23" plywood as drawn. Drill several 1/4" holes for drainage.
2. Side, Front and Back Walls
Nail the four 2x2 uprights to the two side walls along the 11 3/4" edge, with one end of each 2x2 flush with the top edge of the walls. Nail a 19 7/8" 2x2 hinge support to the top edge of the back wall piece, leaving 1 1/2" on each side for 2x2 uprights. Assemble box by nailing the 1 1/4" overhang of the side walls to the 2x2s on the base as drawn. Then nail the front and back walls to the 2x2 uprights and to the 2x4s on the base as drawn. Be sure the hinge support is at the top of the bin.
Nail lid together as drawn. Attach to box with hinges, making sure to pre drill screw holes into the 2x2s, and position hinges as in detail. Attach chain with 1/2" wood screws so lid can rest in an opened position.